Subject: [Harp-L] Harrison Harmonicas

Well, that was entirely your choice not to buy a B-Radical. I didn't wait,
but ordered two early on. Got both of them, some months apart.

BUT - I already knew I would, since Harrison made it clear they would work
on first one key and then begin work on other keys separately. C's were
first  up, and out.

There were only a scarce handful of employees at the most at any point in
time. At the end, Brad Harrison himself was working (by the account of
someone I  highly respect who was there and called Brad Harrison the best boss
he'd ever  had and his job with the company the best job he'd ever had) 24
hours  a day with scarcely a couple of hours' sleep, attempting to fill the
back  orders.

>From day one people like me who placed orders were NOT asked for 'payment
in full' as these other customers seem to be alleging. I was asked for a $35
 deposit for each harmonica which would then get me $10 off each. I
considered  that more than fair since another customizer had already charged me IN
FULL for  4 harps I'd ordered from him and taken many months to deliver. I
consider myself  fortunate. I finally received mine a few short months prior
to his very  unfortunate and untimely death which, besides being a terrible
loss, left many  people without their paid-for harmonicas (not that it
became a priority over  his death by any means). Those are the chances one takes
in life, and the  customs he made for me were not being made from scratch
but being built from  MB's and GM's, far less time-intensive.

Using logical thinking, I extrapolated how much longer it would take  to
put together a brand new space-age design with every part (including the
tiniest screws, rivets, brand new and differently milled state of the art reeds)
 being manufactured in the US, AND with Brad Harrison having to teach the
people  he hired how to build these instruments to his very high and exacting
standards.  Despite the delays it made perfect sense FOR the delays given
my prior  experience.

All of us wanted THAT harmonica - the B-Radical. Not something thrown
together in the shop by an under-trained apprentice, didn't we?  We wanted  THE
perfect instrument made by Brad Harrison and it to sound like the  prototype
as played by those people we'd already heard. So, I for one was more  than
willing to give them the time to build these perfect harps.  This made
perfect sense to me, anyway.

MY patience more than paid off. I got first my B-Rad in key of C, and then
a few months later my 2nd in key of Bb, both engraved with my chosen
name/initials as requested. They are both stunningly beautiful and  incredibly
responsive instruments - far better than I deserve as a player (I'm a
chromatic player -decidedly still Amateur in status (so I'm not some 'preferred'
or 'star' player put to the head of the list). When my instruments were ready
 (two separate occasions), I was informed of such by email - sent my final
payments via PayPal and received my harmonicas in the mail a few days
later,  very well wrapped.

To reiterate: I was not 'ripped off'; the company is/was not a 'scam'; and
I am still extremely pleased with my purchases from Harrison. I full intend
to  notify the Illinois Attorney General of my experiences and hope other
satisfied  customers do so as well. Those of us who got what we paid for need
to at least  present another point of view.

What happened as far as I've subsequently learned is that the actual costs
to produce these instruments far exceeded the original set price  he was
actually charging us as customers but it was much too late to charge  more or
'take it back'. So the $180 per was insufficient to make up the  costs for
the succeeding instruments or to pay employees real wages so he  had to let
first one then others go. At the end it became a struggle to continue  trying
to build them on his own.

ONE person cannot run a customizing harmonica company if there are dozens
of orders still to fill although it looks as if he kept trying. Ask any
customizer how difficult it is to fill their few orders. It's physically
impossible but I believe that's what Harrison was actually attempting to do
towards the end, when his energy finally gave out and he was forced to give up
this lifelong dream and sell to another company who promised to build the
remaining harmonicas to his standards. At least, that's from the information
I've gleaned thus far.

IF Brad Harrison was trying to cheat his customers and 'run off with the
money' he could easily have declared bankruptcy a long time ago without all
the  'wear and tear' which would have ensured that the customers still
waiting would  lose their money. He didn't. I don't believe there was money left
to speak of  when he sold the company...and he at least tried to ensure that
the back orders  would be filled.

I don't think it's fair to try him in public nor to toss around all the
libelous comments I've read until all the facts are in.

None of the people filing their complaints and bashing him on harmonica
blogs seem to have done their homework up front. Many sent in payment in full
from the beginning despite not being asked to do so. Why would anyone do so
 if not in an effort to try to expedite their own harmonicas over other
customers? Seems a foolish move when it wasn't required. In fact one blogger
admitted he did so in a move to 'jump the line'.

There are a couple of customers who've written in  public that after their
final orders were ready their money was taken and  the harps not delivered.
I'm mostly curious about those, because they seem  to have fallen during the
same timeline when I received mine, if their accounts  are entirely
accurate.

I read this article VERY carefully. It simply states in the end that  only
a handful of complaints are being worked on and one has already been
resolved. Customers were told to apply to their credit card companies. That was
the very same advice given to those people talking about this weeks ago on
the facebook harmonica blogs when the discussion was in full swing. Why
wouldn't  they already have followed through? It would have been MY first move if
 I believed I'd been cheated by any company.

Elizabeth
Happily enjoying my two B-Rads.

Message: 10
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 16:56:41 -0400
From: "J. Howley"  <harpcrawler@xxxxxxxxx>
To: _harp-l@xxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx)

Hello Fellow Harpists,

I've been a reader but never posted  before.  But I just gotta know if any
of
you have seen this?  I've  been interested in this harmonica, been following
it online, but I guess I'm  glad I  waited:

<http://www.wifr.com/news/headlines/IL_Attorney_General_Takes_over_Harrison_
Harmonica_Investigation_129849108.html>
http://www.wifr.com/news/headlines/IL_Attorney_General_Takes_over_Harrison_H
armonica_Investigation_129849108.html