[Harp-L] Difference in the chord structure between bluegrass & Blues?

I will never deny any method of learning or practice. We all have different goals or perspectives when we start to play music. Learning melodies, chord progressions, positions, theory is all very important and something I should do more of but ...  many players I hear suffer from too much thought, infringing on their free flowing expression. Harmonica, played in second position is almost magical in its ability to adapt to so many of popular music's chord progressions and grooves. Bluegrass, reggae, ska, funk, hard rock, etc., played in second position will allow a new player to get a positive experience early in their learning. I consider the harmonica a vocal instrument. Pick up the correct key instrument and one can start to play with others, making this, maybe, the most democratic melodic instrument other than the voice. Of course, democracies are a bit messy but this is a discussion for another forum.

Playing bluegrass helped my early playing because I had to listen to and recognize chord progressions that did not follow the blues pattern, but still used the blues chords. Then when a fourth or fifth chord was introduced into a tune, a minor chord or 6-2-1 turnaround was tossed in, I had to recognize it and play with it, or be quiet accordingly. The recognition of when to be quiet might be the most important lesson a beginning harmonica player will get, regardless of the style they play.

Listening to the fiddle is valuable because a harmonica often fills that function in a song. Check out the chunking rhythmic banjo or mandolin because a harmonica can produce a cool "chunking" rhythm. Sing the vocals with the harmonica following the phrasing as much if not more than the melody.

My bottom line advice, along with all of the other posts, is to allow a new player to jam with a bluegrass tune in good old second position and have fun.

Clay

Find most of  my Music, Designs, Photography, Ropes  Course information at
http://www.tostmusic.com
http://www.claygoldstein.com