Subject: [Harp-L] Child-safe but playable harmonica for 4yr old?

I have a different take on this. I honestly don't understand 'dumbing-down'
 musical instruments for small children unless the real ones are terribly
expensive. Why not simply teach them to respect some Real instruments
instead,  especially when a harmonica is small enough to be played by a child?

I'm not talking off the top of my head - I began playing a real harmonica
at age 4 (by ear). I had no instructions or instructor but somehow knew
enough not to treat it as a toy and I never once cut myself (or anyone else) on
 a sharp edge. At home it was put away each time when not being played. I
took it to school (began elementary school in Scotland at age 4) and  played
most days on the playground and with my friends afterwards. I  also studied
the violin for a brief time and remember carrying my  small chromatic in
the violin case. At the same time I was taking piano lessons.  I don't recall
my hands being unable to play piano or hold a harmonica at  age 4 despite
being a fairly clumsy child otherwise since I was able to  play an entire
'real' song the first time I picked up a harmonica  (Scotland the Brave) and
likewise when I sat down at the piano.

My sister and I have surmised my first was probably a small tremolo
progressing to a double-sided Echo and a 260 Chromatic as I grew up.

Treat it as a toy and it will be. Treat it as a bona fide instrument and it
 will be thought of as such. :) Four year olds have very fertile, active
(and  growing) brains which are musically far past nursery rhymes.

Elizabeth
PS: I would give the child the adapted accordion - making sure she  knows
it's a real instrument AND buy her a real harmonica as well. Encouraging
'entranced' could reap major dividends.<G> My .02 cents.

"Message: 5