Re: [Harp-L] New Improvisations; please let me know what you think!

All points noted, and anything I disagree with I still respect (although,
based on Joseph Blow's comment, he wouldn't make a very constructive
teacher).  I have a lot of tone work to do still, although at least in the
"006" improvisation (that I think you speak of), those notes that I have
strong somewhat out of tune warbles on are purposeful wrenching of the notes
for effect. An ability to create an even tone across the instrument is
important even if that is not the desired result, as is being able to find
all possible ways to manipulate that tone to varying degrees purposefully.
However I think a lot of people are so used to the idea of "all notes must
be same" that when they hear something that is manipulated for the sake of
it, their instinct sometimes is to jump out and claim foul-play(ing) rather
than let themselves just listen to the sound itself and get a feel for that
as a creation in itself. Because the context that people play this
instrument in is either strictly "classical" or strictly "jazz" or strictly
"blues", when something is played that confuses the genre-senses and blends
things, there can be an urge to apply certain expectations of one genre to
aspects of another; I personally don't like necessarily improvising in
genres. In a rock context, the tone is about incredible distortion. In
blues, bending notes. In classical, a pure evenness. So what if a piece is
composed that has elements of all? A bach-inspired tone-wrenching
exploration? Let yourself hear things on their own outside of preconceived
notions of genre and "supposed-to's" before applying your developed
genre-tonal bias. All mentioned musical development ideas I will look into,
and appreciate the respectful well-intentioned criticism (David).

For David specifically, here is a more succinct theme-building
improvisation, this one you may prefer the experience of, let me know what
you think.

http://sammyasher.bandcamp.com/track/005

Sam

 For a more succinct theme-building improvisation, this one you may prefer
the experience of, let me know what you think (its short),

http://sammyasher.bandcamp.com/track/005

Sam