RE: [Harp-L] CD Review of Climb Jacobs Ladder

Thanks man . I agree very much about Popper . the guy has made his mark as a
songwriter . the harp stuff he did was great for the time and place that he
did it . but the songs are what really gave him (and other harmonicists) the
bigger stage .

I don't play harmonica on every song, but mostly because I sing lead vox
about half the songs in my band, also play some flute and percussion . but
with harmonica parts, above all I try to establish the harmonica as part of
what I'm calling the 'fabric' of the musicality of the song .

I don't wanna just be the harp guy that plays a flashy solo, then does
nothing else for that piece . even if I do play the featured solo, I try to
make sure I've played 'lines' or 'pads' beforehand to establish that the
harmonica is part of the musical underpinnings of the song .

By 'pads', I mean basically, thinking like a keyboard and taking that 'spot'
in the sound . I do it by playing octaves, then extending the splits to
include added colors .

I also try to think in terms of where the 'melody' lies best, then play in
the harmonica 'position' that gives the best 'timbre' to fit the song and
melodic idea . in doing so, I'm not trying to play things that are perceived
as 'hard' things to play, just for the sake of playing 'hard' things .

It's really the opposite . if it sounds like it's 'hard' to play, then it
won't sound like it's natural to play, will sound forced . which pretty much
defeats the purpose . and the musicality of it .

Bottom-line, the harmonica is an instrument that connects deeply to the
listener, so my thing is to find stuff in the harmonica that sounds good,
and people will respond . it's just that there 'are' things that sound good
that aren't necessarily in the blues and country tradition or 'formats' that
are perceived by the public that sound good with harmonica .

To get the opportunity to 'mine' those veins, though, I'll go back to the
point that we have to be 'songwriters' that understand how to construct
resonant tunes . that the public will respond to .

Now, of course using language like that brings the knee-jerk reaction .
well, if the public responds to it, then it must be crap .

Trust me, the reason why most of the great blues tunes that are played 30,
40, or 50 years after they first were played on the radio is not because of
the great harp playing . it's because they were great, catchy, or meaningful
tunes that resonated with the public for some reason . reasons that that
follow certain musical 'rules' that are transferable to all sorts of music .
it just has to work . we just have to 're-imagine' how our instrument can
sound, and apply those re-imaginings .

Finally, by 're-imagining', I'm not trying to put in a cleverly-coded call
for overblows or anything else . that was then, this is now . sometimes an
overblow is useful . sometimes not . In most cases, I try to avoid them if I
can . if it doesn't 'sound' good, it will disrupt the musicality of whatever
the player is trying to do.

A good example of that kind of thinking occurs on one of the tunes on the
DooWatchaDoo CJL CD . 'Makin' It.'  It's a song written and sung by the
guitarist Gary Mitchell, the other principal songwriter and vocalist in our
group .

In that tune, I start with a line in cross-harp (Bb) harp, then take a solo
with the same Bb harp in what I guess would be called 11th position (root is
half-step bend, third hole draw, or Bb on a C-harp), then play pads, then
some killer amped-lines later in the song, still in that position .

It all sounds so natural, most people (even harp players) never notice that
I'm doing anything special .

Because really I'm not . am just playing the harmonica like the instrument
it can be, finding ways to make it sound good through a particular piece .
If I don't have to change harps (and thus change timbre unnecessarily), it
makes more sense and sounds more natural to me, (plus is less confusing in
performance, etc) .

Anyway . thanks for the kind words, and am of course open to further discuss
any of the above .

Warmly, Paul Messinger/Chapel Hill NC