Re: [Harp-L] Delay unit's question et al... (Ed Vedock)

"Ed Vedock" wrote:
<This is my approximately yearly posted feelings about mics, amplifiers, pedals, vintage vs new, tubes, solid <state, mic stand microphone, hand-held mic, cupped mic, bla, bla, bla.  A lapel microphone going through a sound <system is so nice. Hands on harp, relaxed, natural, (even a sound system fills out the harps tone)  giving it a <very nice sound that is very satisfying.  If you want any contrieved electric sounds, distorted, brown, <electric, the pa does that also if if desired.   Harmonica doesn't need all these electronic side-shows.

Electronics have been part of the harmonica's sound since the late 1940s. It's a little late to claim that there's no point in it.  And your message really doesn't say that electronics are unnecessary--it says that your preferred electronics (lapel mic and PA system) are the best, and everything else is pointless.  So the basic message is that you personally set the standard for amplified tone.

That's a big claim, and one that I would never make.  I never tell other people how they're supposed to sound.  I record myself and put my stuff up on the web for all to hear. I let people draw their own conclusions as to whether it's something they like, and I tell them how to get that sound if they want it.

If you're proposing that your sound is the end-all and be-all of harmonica tone, then please make a point of recording yourself and making the recording available for download, so we can all hear it. Until then, you're a long way from proving your point.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick