[Harp-L] CD Review of Climb Jacobs Ladder

OK?I¹ll start by saying that Paul Messinger and I have somewhat of a mutual
admiration society going. Paul cites my playing in the late 70¹s and early
80¹s as giving him insight toward what he aspired to do on harmonica in a
band setting. After finally meeting Paul at SPAH in Dallas 2003, I quickly
realized that he was doing things with the harmonica in genres that most of
us ignore. Things like reggae and African influenced rhythms. Sure, there
have been some nods to this on our instrument, but not like Paul was doing
it, using them within popular song-formats.

For those of you who don¹t know, Paul organized the 1998 Harmonica Summit in
Chapel Hill NC that first brought together such diverse harmonica-pro
stylists as Jelly Roll Johnson, Joe Filisko, and Dennis Gruenling, along
with members of the emerging Howard Levy over-blowers such as Carlos del
Junco, Sandy Weltman, Mike Peloquin, Allan Holmes, and Chris Michalek for a
week of workshops, a film, as well as a sold-out, four-hour Saturday night
concert.
Then, along with his friend and harmonic co-conspirator the late Chris
Michalek, co-sponsored the now legendary more public Harmonica Summit held
in the Twin Cities in 2000.

That brings me to his new release ³Climb Jacobs Ladder.² I will cut right to
the chase. This is one of the best sounding, best produced, and flat out
cool group efforts that uses harmonica, I have ever heard.

Over the years Paul and I have talked about how important it was for all of
us to think about how the harmonica could be used other than a gimmick or
cliché.  He¹s done that folks! The harmonica is used in multiple positions
with interesting figures and moods. The songs, all original, range from fun,
to important social statements. The harmonica sounds range from acoustic to
a great amped sound. The solos cover horn esque figures to position playing
that makes you sit up and listen, to balls out nasty stuff.

My picks off the CD:

DooWhactaDoo? great opening song for the CD and sets the table perfectly.
Think About It?social content here is so right on.
Makin¹ It?though starts in cross-harp, modulates to great amped 11th
position harp sound and clean-harp solo, all on the same Bb harp!
Bongo Boy?fun fun fun
Jacobs Ladder?for those of you who know Paul, no further explanation needed
here

I should also mention that Joe Filisko and Howard Levy appear on this
project and both show why they are considered consummate professionals.

The litmus test for me occurred recently when I played the CD for some folks
I was recording with. The comment that kept coming up was that ³the
harmonica was a pleasure to listen to and that it just seemed to fit so well
inside the group setting.² Nice going Paul! If that¹s not accolade enough,
my wife walked into my studio as it was playing and said ³wow is that cool.²
Trust me, coming from the woman who has seen and heard all the harmonica has
to offer over 36 years, that¹s a big deal!

The other members of the group are every bit as talented. The recording is
very well done. The mixing is just right and the mastering makes it one of
those must have projects.

We all receive harmonica CDs from friends and fellow players?this one jumped
right off the speakers and immediately had my full attention.
No, you are not going to hear Little Walter, Toots, or Robert Bonfiglio.
What you are going to experience is an important work of art that uses the
harmonica in a tasteful and emotional way.

This CD is available at:
https://www.cdbaby.com/cd/climbjacobsladder
http://www.climbjacobsladder.net/home.cfm

PT Gazell