RE: [Harp-L] My Honeyboy Edwards story

On a summer Sunday afternoon 20-25 years ago, I heard some sweet, acoustic, slide guitar coming out of the Wise Fools Pub. I went inside and it was Honeyboy and another guitarist, Curtis Crawford, on the bill. It was my first introduction to acoustic country blues and it caused me to begin listening to and playing fingerstyle guitar, open tunings, slide, etc. The journey began and I started going to the Jazz Record Mart to buy country blues cassettes and catching shows. I learned a lot from the recordings and the cassette liner notes. In about a year and a half I had the honor of doing a 30 minute opener for Honeyboy and Curtis at U.S. Blues (a big hangout back in the day for the original Second City players..Belushi, Ackroyd, Murray..) I have some promo posters of that show that I cherish!

Honeyboy was a character.  He'd go to the IV or V on a blues whenever the hell he felt like it and half the fun of going to a Honeyboy show was watching how his bandmates would cope with this! He had an amazing memory too! I'll miss him, his music, and his stage voodoo!

cheers,
Jim Conway

harp3333@xxxxxxxxxxx
www.jamesconway.net