[Harp-L] re: New England Harmonica Stars question...

From: Seth Holzman, PO  Box 866, Ardmore, PA 19003-0866

Home  Tel.: _610-642-7985_ (tel:610-642-7985) ;
           Email: _zepharpo@xxxxxxxx (mailto:zepharpo@xxxxxxx)
           Saturday, Oct.  29, 2011

Hi WB -
    I don't consider myself a "star," but  I thought you might want to
know...
    I played harmonica with Ronnie Earl in  his first band - it was a blues
band called Bright Lights, Big City - from  1975 to 1976, in the Boston, MA
area.  Back then Ronnie was known as Ronnie  Horvath.  Ronnie was superb
even way back then!  (Lead vocals and also  on guitar - Danny Starobin.
Various bass players - Phil Leach, David  Starobin....  Drummer - Dyl Wiley).
    Around this time I sat in with Muddy  Waters (either at Paul's Mall or
the other adjoining underground club in  Boston) and with Koko Taylor (in a
large club in Rhode  Island).
    I also played harp with the Jaguars  (blues and rock 'n' roll) in the
Boston, MA area from  about 1977-1978.  That band had Maynard Silva on guitar
and vocals,  Bob Case on bass and vocals, and I can't remember the
drummer's name - I think  it was Doug ....  (?)
    I taught private harmonica lessons as  early as about 1973, and
harmonica classes at the Cambridge Center for  Adult Education beginning in 1975,
and then harmonica classes  at  the Boston Center for Adult Education, and
elsewhere.
    I moved to Syracuse NY in  1978 with my girlfriend (future wife) where
I continued to teach  harmonica and played in several bands and duos.
During that time I  played with brilliant acoustic guitarist Frank Corso - he
played  mostly blues and ragtime blues (Blind Blake, etc.) on steel body
(National)  guitar.  He moved to New England and I believe still lives in the area
 (Newburyport?).  I studied music at Syracuse University and received a
Bachelor of Music degree in 1983.
    I moved to the Philadelphia area with  my wife and daughter in 1983 and
still reside here (with my  larger  family), where I continue to teach
adult education harmonica classes, private  lessons, and play in several bands.
    Other stars:
    Pierre Beauregard was a superb harp  player with Powerhouse - George
Leh - lead vocals, Tommy Principato - gtr.,  etc.  He played a Papa Lightfoot
song (Mean Old Train) among other  great stuff.
    Kaz Kazanoff played great harp (and  sax) with John Nicholas and the
Rhythm Rockers
    Richard "Rosie" Rosenblatt played  harp with Joyride Express.
    Richard Hunter and Chris Turner played  some incredible harmonica duo
gigs that I was thrilled to witness (and I sat in  with them on one - at the
Boston Food Co-op, I think).
    I'd be happy to provide further info  if you want it.
Best,
    Seth

Message: 5