Re: [Harp-L] 59 Fender Bassman reissue

Richard wrote: "That said, in 2011 there are alternatives, some of which offer
more power and flexibility at a lower price and with a smaller, lighter
footprint, and an increasing number of players are beginning to outfit
themselves with those alternatives. " Rick's poll was conducted in 2011, I'm not
sure what has happened in the months since to significantly change his data?

"The Bassman sounds great for blues, but modern players increasingly need to
play more than blues." A bassman is rated at 45W RMS, or 50W RMS with a solid
state rectifier, this is the power it potentially makes when relatively
clean...as with any 45 or 50W amp. It doesn't know or care what genre of musc
you play...it just reacts to what goes in. It's not genre specific. Jason Ricci
is most often referenced as the cutting edge of "modern" (whatever the
qualification for such is) players, he toured for years with a RI bassman until
he picked up the HG50 (which is not directly related to the tweed bassman, nor a
recent development of it - it's a 2x6L6 4x10" amp and that's pretty much where
the "genetic" similarity ends). I recently heard that world reknowned blues
player RJ Mischo plays a HG50, does this now exclude it from the modern player's
arsenal? ;-) I have trouble with the perception of genre specific amps, if it's
working properly, it should be able to make music. Some seminal blues recordings
were made straight to the desk, this doesn't make them any less bluesy.

There are, of course, alternatives, but as a pick up & go, pretty well self
contained package (you're gonna have to mic up through a PA sometime), a tweed
bassman is hard to beat...the RI makes that package rather more accessible to
the masses than a handmade 45/50W amp.

 Regards, Mark.