Re: [Harp-L] Multi-Effects for (Electric) Harmonica

Isaac Ullah wrote:
<Richard Hunter wrote:
<<I don't understand the meaning of "static combos of effects"
<< as a difference between the Digitechs and anything else--almost all amp
<< modelers, except the next-gen Digitechs that are based on the iPad,
<<give you a particular set of FX that can be chained in a given order.
<<Once you've set up a patch on the G3, that's what you've got--a set of
<<FX chained in a particular order.  How is that different from any other
<<multiFX device?>

<I'm referring to the ability to 1) put any of the individual effects in the chain into bypass independently of <any other, and 2) easily twiddle the parameters for an individual effect in the chain. With a digitech, you set <up all your patches before hand. For example, you can set up a patch with reverb, delay, and pitch down (let's <forget about amp models for now). You have to set all the parameters up for each of these effects, and the patch <is a single unit. You can only turn the patch on, or put the whole patch into bypass. You can't put just the <delay part into bypass.

Isaac, your information is incorrect.  Each row on the Digitech (from top to bottom, something like 10-11 rows) represents a different effect---distortion, compression, amp, EQ, pitch/modulation, delay, reverb, etc.  You can turn off any row (meaning any effect) with a single button push (once you're in edit mode, which is also a single button push).  At least that's the way it works on the 250/255/350/355, probably on the 150/155 too.

Further, you can assign the footpedal to any effect parameter, including on/off, so you can turn off anything you like in performance using the footpedal if you prefer.  Or if you like, you can just set up two patches side by side, one with the effect on, and the other with the effect off, and switch between them easily.  Most people tend to use only a handful of sounds on a gig, and the Digitechs have 60-70 user patch slots on them (depending on the model), so there's more than enough room for several variations on any given sound.

Regarding the ease of twiddling parameters in performance, I find that the biggest problem is leaning down to fiddle with the knobs, which pains my back before very long.  But I'd have the same problem with any other FX device that was planted on the floor.

I suppose someone who wanted to do a lot of knob-twiddling on their gear in performance might find it easier to have six or eight pedals on the floor and turn the knobs by hand.  I've certainly seen players with that much gear on the floor.  But if you want to have a complex sound--say, compression, amp and cab model, pitch shifter, delay, and reverb--ready to go with a button push, the Digitechs will do you.  I shudder to think how much knob twiddling you'd have to do on a collection of pedals to make that happen. And that collection of pedals would cost several times as much as an RP.

As a rule, I set my RP up to produce the sounds I want, and I put those sounds in the order I want them, so if I have to change sounds in a song, I just press the footswitch. Pretty simple.

It may not take much to convince me that the Zoom G3 is a very nice device.  Like I said, I haven't heard it yet.  But I don't buy the argument that the Digitechs don't work for live performance. That's what I've been doing with them for years.  I have utter confidence that when I get onstage, the Digitechs are going to lay down great sounds.

And I really don't want to keep arguing about the relative merits of a pedal that neither of us has yet heard or seen in action.  When you get a G3, record yourself through it and post the recording to Harp-L.  I'll look forward to hearing it.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick