Re: [Harp-L] country tuning songs -- Melody Maker

On Oct 16, 2011, at 4:34 PM, George Miklas wrote:

> I agree--> I have been working a lot with Smokey Joe's Country Tuning, and some Lee Oskar Melody Makers.  I have found that the raised blow in the 3rd hole (on the Melody Maker) is more of a problem for me than a benefit.

Yeah, I had the same thing happen to me big George. I explained it in a previous post. I happen to agree with John Kerkhoven. In MY case.

>   Plus I agree with John Kerkhoven, it is nice to have juicy draw bends on hole 3.   Now on the other hand, I have placed wind savers on the the draw reeds in holes 1-6 and am able to play some very nice chromatic passages with the blow bends in the middle and lower holes.

Yeah, I did that too. But one by one I started removing them if I found that I wasn't using them. I STILL keep a wind saver on...here and there. I suppose someone who would really put in the time, could come up with some might neat stuff doing that. They would have to be dedicated....like YOU.   :)

>   So right now I am gathering harps to rebuild, to tune up a set of harps with the raised 4th scale degree (draw reed in both holes 5 and 9), and the addition of wind savers on the draw reeds in holes 1-6.
>
> Hank Williams--> As a matter of fact, I have been working out a medley of Hank songs using the Smokey Joe Country Tuning playing (C harp / G 2nd position) in a neck rack and strumming my electric baritone ukulele.  Its nice... I can get real nice chromatic passages not otherwise attainable on a standard tuned diatonic harp.

Right, key word here is 'unobtainable'. I used the tuning for 50s doo-wop initially, THEN went to jazz, and THEN country.
smo-joe