Re: [Harp-L] Multi-Effects for (Electric) Harmonica

Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Multi-Effects for (Electric) Harmonica
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

Richard hunter wrote:
 <The Zoom doesn't
have a rotary speaker effect, which is probably the single effect most
harp players want most in a multi FX box (followed by a good pitch
shifter). >

Actually, I think it does, but they call it "Z-Organ" instead of rotary speaker (I can't confirm that "z-organ IS a rotary speaker effect,but it IS an effect to get an organ sound, so I would assume that it includes rotary simulation).  I've go no direct experience with Zoom FX units, but it's hard to read the list of things included inside the G3 (http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/g3/spec/) and not be salivating! ;) Plus, I really really really like the layout of the G3. Basically you get three fx units side by side, each with dedicated knobs to twiddle and dedicated footswitches to put them into bypass mode. With the G3, your "patches" are just preselected combinations of the three effects you want assigned to these controls, and what the default settings for each effect will be when you flick to that patch. IMO that would seem to give you a lot more flexibility to tweak on the fly and to use the unit more like a real pedal board during performances,
 which is a lot more handy than the way most other multifx units are laid out (at the same price point), including the digitechs (which I do love). The main draw back to the digitech style is that your patches are pretty much static combos of effects, which makes them work differently on stage than a regular pedal board does.

<I like the Zoom G2NU, but I really think the best value
 for money is found in the Digitech RP series devices.>

I'd certainly agree about that if we are only comparing the G2nu against a similarly priced RP unit, but I'm seriously thinking that the G3 would beat out a similarly prices RP. The G3's looper is MUCH better than those on the digitechs, and you can power the G3 by batteries (you can't even hack a digitech to be powered via an external battery because they require 12v AC power!). Both of those things are necessities for me, since I mainly play out in the street as a busker. Yeah, it is a bummer that you HAVE to add on a continuous control pedal if you want to use any of those kind of effects, but at least you CAN do so. And if you've got a passive volume control already, then you are in business!

Actually I really think it's cool that our main problem now is that there are TOO MANY OPTIONS! Lol! Even a few years back, it was super hard to find one of these multifx units just to try out, let alone to agonize over which one is right for you! I fully agree with your statement that in the end it's the players own ears that tell him or her which one is best for them. Amen to that!

Cheers,

~Isaac