Re: [Harp-L] Is live blues dying out?

No, blues ain't dying out, it's always had rough times, and always will survive, it's a fundamental of jazz and rock, among other genres.  Blues in SoCal feels modestly  popular in terms of what people are playing, we easily draw large numbers of all ages to our (LA Blues Society & Elmtree Blues Society) afternoon jams, and the numbers constantly grow.

   But in terms of paid club gigs, it is tough indeed, everywhere.  With heightened DUI awareness/enforcement and the poor economy, clubs are hurting, and people are listening to radio and downloads, where blues has a very small slice of the pop music promotion budgets.   And of course too many play free for commercial joints!

Thus we started the LA Blues Society 2 years ago, now approaching 500 dues-paying members.  We are getting a good response in approaching clubs in areas where there ain't much blues being played and hosting open blues jams with host bands (paid by the club), we pack the house and thus encourage the clubs, players and fans towards more blues, of any type, with paid players, paying customers and profitable venues to nurture more blues!

It's true players need to be creative in cooking up gigs. So, buy that portable generator, hook up with those non-profits, schools, restaurants and start-ups, write original material that reflects our times, and "kick out the jams, mothertruckers!"  And always, always, involve the kids whenever you can.

-Dave "PLayin' Blues IS Payin' Dues" Fertig