Re: [Harp-L] Not Stuck, But Balky

On Oct 2, 2011, at 10:43 PM, Elizabeth Hess wrote:

> On both my chromatic harps, after 20-30 minutes of playing, the slide seems like it goes over a sort of "speed bump" when I release it.  Not a burr, but more like the spring tension itself suddenly gets tighter before it opens all the way.  When I keep playing, it makes an "almost click" sort of sound when it releases.  Is this a common symptom with a straightforward fix?

Yes, common. You have a bit of dried goo or burn mark in one spot.

>  The harps play fine otherwise, but it's distracting.

It sure is.

> I've been rinsing with water after each practice session, and propping the slide half-open to let everything air out.  Anything else I should try?

Check the slide to see if you have a burn mark in the slide plating. Not an actual burn but a 'mechanical' burn. It shows up as a dull rub mark. If this is the case, smooth it with a brillo pad.  If it was some dried goo, it will also disappear.