Subject: [Harp-L] 1st Chromatic ?

If you'd like, go here to get a TON of input from a whole slew of  mostly
chromatic players - along with their reasons for their choices:

_www.slidemeister.com/forums/_ (http://www.slidemeister.com/forums/)

It's been asked many, many times before, so either type the question into
the search engine or begin a new topic. It's a relatively ongoing focus of
conversation there given that new chromatic players join all the time and
most  of the long-term players have quite strong opinions about their
favourite  chromatics, along with the windsaver question (to valve or not?)...

While I personally love the CX-12's and think they're the perfect chromatic
 for those transitioning from diatonics (ease of dismantling, cleanliness,
ability to bend, tone, etc)...it'll still all depend on how you play, what
kind  of music is your focus, what YOU want from the instrument and, of
course, your finances.

I'm particularly fond of playing CX-12's in 'other' keys, A and Bb being my
 favourites since I'm mostly into R&B and Contemporary Jazz music and like
to  play along with the music of Peter White (my favourite guitarist) and a
lot of  Saxophonists. Naturally, though I have C, Tenor C, G to play along
with my  fellow chromatic players at club meetings and at SPAH, etc. I love
CX-12's  because they're fun. I also still play a Super 64 Chromatic when I
need the  extra notes. I'd highly recommend the bigger instrument as well
since even  a player with small hands can play it with no real problem.

I'm an ear player who can read a little - find it very easy to switch to
different keys since I don't think in terms of keys, but am purely following
the  music (song) in my head. Others find it complicated to play anything
other  than a Key of C chrom. It's all very personal and opinions are as
varied as the  players.

As far as them being expensive - I just received a brand-new Tenor C Cx-12
bought off EBay, sold by a woman who said it had minimal play. I've already
 checked it over and if it was played at ALL I can't tell. It's so clean
and new  it practically sparkles...puts my own to shame, and mine are
spotless. I'm cleaning it anyway of course, since I'm ever the skeptic, but  it
cost all of $111. Can't beat that for what is a pristine  and gorgeous
instrument. My original Tenor C needs work so this  was a great way to get a backup.

One can get a CX-12 (mostly in C) brand new from EBay  stores for as low as
$176. Don't believe the hype about Manufacturers'  retail prices. These are
online stores which sell new instruments. Here's one  link:

_http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOHNER-7545-CX12-KEY-C-CHROMATIC-HARMONICA-NEW-/260
634880760?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3caf0caaf8_
(http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOHNER-7545-CX12-KEY-C-CHROMATIC-HARMONICA-NEW-/260634880760?pt=LH_Default
Domain_0&hash=item3caf0caaf8)

THIS second seller charges $185 but carries them in more keys: Has been
around (on EBay) for several years and as far as I know will get a key you're
looking for if contacted.

_http://www.ebay.com/sch/chrislight333/m.html?_nkw=Cx-12+chromatic+harmonica
s&_sacat=0&_odkw=&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3911.c0.m270.l1313_
(http://www.ebay.com/sch/chrislight333/m.html?_nkw=Cx-12+chromatic+harmonicas&_sacat=0&_odkw=&_
osacat=0&_trksid=p3911.c0.m270.l1313)

I'd still suggest doing a lot of homework before deciding. Most of those of
 us who originally thought we'd buy one 'perfect' chromatic, ended up with
HAS  (harmonica acquisition syndrome). As a diatonic player you might
already  understand the concept.<G>

Some EBay sellers even allow returns which one cannot find with regular
harmonica vendors, which to me implies they probably send out an  already
played instrument to the next buyer.  So I err on  the side of caution by
cleaning every instrument I buy before I play  it no matter where I purchased it
since I really don't know who 'tested' it  last. With a new instrument a
simple alcohol (or 'Clorox Anywhere' spray) wipe  down usually suffices.

Have fun deciding!

Elizabeth
"Message: 10