Re: [Harp-L] Wind Saver Maintenance

Here are some suggestions for your upcoming windsaver work:

Fear not!

You won't have to worry about those screw bumpers because you won't have to remove the mouthpiece and slide assembly.

Don't "go in there" until you have replacement windsavers , glue, and tweezers.  I recommend windsavers from http://www.newharmonica.com/shopping/
I use GS-Hypo glue  from MicroMark or Michaels (but contact cement works fine)
and the kind of flat-bladed tweezers that stamp collectors use.
IMO, windsaver repairs are half measures. The purpose of "going in there" is to replace them.

You will damage windsavers only if IF you brush against them in the tip-to-rivet direction.

There is no "typical maintenance life" of a windsaver.  In my harps, its life is over when it starts to misbehave. This can happen with new or old windsavers.

If you are reasonably gentle handling the harp with the covers off, there is little danger that you will do any permanent damage.

Rupert's video will show you how to do it.  If you have the eyesight and dexterity to thread a needle, you can handle the job.

Vern