Re: [Harp-L] Blow Bends

Thanks Elizabeth, for that observation. No, I wasn't intending to be glib. What you say is right.
I was just putting it in a nutshell. I've been playing over forty years, and I've learned new techniques all along the way,
even in the last couple of years. But you've got to enjoy whatever level you're at, and just continue to look forward to the
endless possibilities that lie forever ahead.
RD

>>> Elizabeth Hess <TrackHarpL@xxxxxxxxxxxx> 24/11/2011 23:16 >>>
Kevin,

Rick's answer may sound glib, even flip, but it isn't.  As musicians,
we are "small muscle atheletes", and there is a certain amount of
embouchure strengthening and conditioning involved in getting those
notes.  Just as we don't get buff by trying to lift a school bus once,
but rather by lifting a can of soup three thousand times (over many
days, weeks, and months), so do we need to try for bends, blow bends,
overblows -- the lot -- a great many times.  Repetition and time are
key ingredients.

I first learned this from Rupert Oysler, and it has proven true for me
many times, and is still proving true.  Try for a minute or two or
three at the beginning of each practice session, but don't agonize
over it.  (Michael Rubin is right that it's easier to start blow
bending on lower harps and work your way up.)  Just try a bunch of
times and then move on to your regular practice.  Sooner or later,
you'll get the blow bend (or draw bend, or overblow or overdraw) "by
accident".  Even Howard Levy describes getting his first overblow by
accident!  Then just keep trying, gently and leisurely but
persistently.  At some point, you'll get the note again.  Gradually,
you'll start getting it more often, and then more often than not, and
then pretty reliably.  "Effortlessly" takes a bit longer, I admit.
Given enough opportunities through repetition, your brain will start
to register what works and what doesn't, and your embouchure strength
will also improve.  As Rupert told me, "You'll be amazed what your
brain can do."

Elizabeth (aka "Tin Lizzie")