Subject: RE: [Harp-L] The silent harmonica

Opening UP a wall isn't usually a choice for those in an apartment,  but
there are definitely options available for soundproofing connecting walls.
I've read of various systems in Popular Mechanics' Magazine and other Home
Design online sites for those with this very problem.

The home-made designs usually involve some type of thick  batting covered
with a more attractive material facing on the contiguous  wall of one main
room (later removable without damage to the wall) -  where you can also put
bookcases up against that wall to add to and help conceal  the soundproofing -
and play to your heart's delight with no sound bleeding  through. You're
obviously not the first to run into this problem.

Here's something along the lines of the commercial systems I've  seen - of
course you'll have to research a similar source within your own
Country/area:

_http://www.audimutesoundproofing.com/sound-absorber-soundproof-blanket.aspx
_
(http://www.audimutesoundproofing.com/sound-absorber-soundproof-blanket.aspx)

There are other sources describing how to use furring strips,insulation or
batting and face material to achieve a similar end.

Here's a link with some alternate suggestions:

_http://www.wisegeek.com/how-can-i-make-a-room-soundproof.htm_
(http://www.wisegeek.com/how-can-i-make-a-room-soundproof.htm)

Hanging anything on the wall can help minimize sound, including carpeting,
an oriental rug, heavy drapes, etc.

Cork tiles or panels (the thicker the better)

_http://www.widgetco.com/3-8-cork-wall-tiles-squares_
(http://www.widgetco.com/3-8-cork-wall-tiles-squares)

might also be a fairly attractive and much less expensive option since
they're a natural sound reducer.

Elizabeth

"Message: 8