[Harp-L] Jimi Lee Jam Trax--Feedback to Dan

Dan--

Congratulations.

I think you are starting to speak the language.
You've got lots of good ideas and patterns, and
You have a good idea how to format your phrases.
It's a bit like you are a 2nd year Spanish student
speaking Spanish in Mexico. You can do it, but it is
still halting, and limited, and without attitude.

Experiment with your attitude: try a
deliberate attitude of aggression, so that each note
conveys a confident and deliberate purpose, and also builds
towards a musical climax. Or, at least, so your attitude creates
a rise and a fall.

There are of course lots of other techniques you will throw in, in time.
Bending, note shaping, vibrato, volume changes, the great things you can say

with simple throat articulation.

There are also some very simple things you can do that will
really change things up.

For instance, if you play a riff like 1d 2b 2d -- you can
Add a lot of attitude and percussion, by adding syllables to that
Last note of the phrase.  1d 2b 2d// 2d!

And making the last note of the phrase, the 2d!, twice as loud and staccato
As the notes that preceeded it.

Or taking that last 2 draw, and sliding off of the the 1 hole at the same
time that you
slightly bend it, so the last syllable of the phrase is  2d 2d*1d

The last note of a phrase is frequently the one that tells you what that
phrase just said.
Mess with it.

The main thing is, you are on the road. You have made lots
Of progress, and you are also very creative. And, you are
reaching out. If you keep doing this, you'll get better and better.

Jon Gindick

Message: 11