RE: [Harp-L] Re: Bell Metal Reeds

Very interesting stuff. I have 2 of the Echo harps one of which was given to me around 1972 from a friend of my dad's and he had it for who knows how long. I still use it every now and then. My take on the Echo harps lasting so long is that one does not play them hard at all and does not have much to do with the bell metal reeds.

I opened up that Marine Band that was labeled MUSTER and I can't see anything special about it. The bell metal question was just a shot in the dark guess. I sure know a lot more about bell metal now though.

>From Dictionary.com to "pass muster" is to pass cursory inspection or measure up to a certain standard.

ref: > True. But here's the way I see it. Joe Hohner shows up the trade fair in Paris. Someone who must have had at least a modicum of experience with harmonicas..OR wasn't deaf, tried his products and said: "Man, that's some sweet harp dude". Joe Hohner smiles and says: "Yeah, they have bell metal reeds". The judge? says: "Works for me". And then proceeds to award a prize medallion. Joe then stamps the medallion likeness on his harmonicas. :)
> Then, as time rolls on, after winning numerous awards at trade fairs, he starts putting the FRENCH quality mark on his harmonicas. The snow capped peak of Mt...<

Just for the record, the rep never said this harp has bell metal reeds. I guess I will never know what is different about thhis sample but having over 30 years as a pro I can promise you all that it plays better than the every day MB. Maybe I'll send it to a diatonic customiser for an assessment.

Cheers,
Buck