Re: [Harp-L] MAGNIFICATION for Reed Work

I ordered the Celestron 44202 from Amazon ($210). It arrived today!

It has 20X and 40X capabilities with top and bottom lighting through a
translucent stage. There's also an opaque stage, with reversible black
and white sides. That sucker makes those reeds really stand out!

I looked at a couple of old reed plates. The Lee Oskar reeds were not
centered in the slot, and the tips of the reeds appeared to be rounded,
especially in the corners. The reeds also have a taper, narrowing toward
the tip. I also checked a Seydel reed plate. The reeds were uniformly
square and centered in the slot. I haven't checked a Hohner reed plate
yet.

I like the working distance for this scope: 4.33 inches.

I'm tickled pink with it so far!
Crazy Bob