From: "Richard Hunter" <turtlehill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] Manji
Date: Wed, Nov 9, 2011 16:03

"davymax" wrote:
<Hi guys. Can anyone tell me about the Manji harp? I was thinking about trying one, but would kind of like to get <some feedback from the list.

I own half a dozen Manjis.  They are loud and responsive--in fact, I can play them faster than any other harp I've ever owned.  They also bend and overblow easily.  They don't have the same kind of growl in them that a Hohner Crossover or MB Deluxe has, but I find that the difference is much more noticeable when I play acoustically; amped-up, the two brands sound very similar.  I've had very good luck with the Manjis in terms of durability.

My only significant problem with the Manjis is the cover plates, which for the ones I bought 6-12 months or so ago were pretty flimsy--they bent under very little pressure, which has a non-trivial effect on playability.  Suzuki shipped me a set of Hammond cover plates, which are a match for the Manji and much more durable, and I've been very happy with the harps since.  I passed on my concerns about the cover plates to Suzuki; perhaps someone close to Suzuki can advise as to whether stock Manjis now come with stiffer cover plates.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick