Re: [Harp-L] Chromatic and Diatonic - Understanding Music Theory?

Hi Mike -

I would say learning any new instrument will be instructive in making you a better all around musician. And being a chromatic player myself, I'd say it is a great instrument to devote time to.

However, I would take to heart something that many folks have said over the years, including Dizzy Gillespie, which is that horn players (and I believe this also applies to harmonica or I wouldn't be bringing it up) should always learn a chordal instrument such as piano or guitar in order to develop a better sense of harmony and music theory. It can also be a tremendous help if you are composing. Just something to consider...

Anyway, have fun with your first chromatic, it's a truly wonderful instrument!

- Slim.

http://www.slidemanslim.com