Re: [Harp-L] where to get valves for half-valving a diatonic

Please take a look at "New Harmonica" for 6 different valve options:

http://www.newharmonica.com/shopping/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=69

Danny G is a great vendor, and extremely helpful. Contact him directly at:

330-322-9625

I've talked with Danny several times, and he is always fun and informative.
He can tell you what instructions come with each type of valve.

My personal preference is for either the Vern Smith CWU valves or for the
new Danny G valves. Either one will work fine for half-valving. The glue required
varies, and may require considerable drying time (up to 24 hours). IIRC, both
come with detailed written installation instructions with photos.

Betty Romel sells self-adhesive valves that I also use which are drop-dead simple
to install: simply peel off the backing, stick in place, and snip off the excess length
(if any) using cuticle scissors. You can play the harmonica immediately after the
installation. Contact Ms. Betty at:

 msbeta_22@xxxxxxxxxxx
Phone: (702) 256-7470

As for DIY videos, here's a link to a YouTube video (in Polish verbally, but with
English subtitles) showing putting valves on a diatonic. The person in the video
is a Seydel technician (I think). He has his own Web site.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw9tI71p53A&feature=related

Winslow Yerxa has a couple of excellent articles on valving (and half-valving) on
the Mel Bay's Harmonica Sessions web site:

Part 1: June 2010
http://archive.harmonicasessions.com/jun10/Yerxa.html

Part 2: August 2010
http://harmonicasessions.com/?p=27

To half-valve a "standard" Richter diatonic, you need to place the valves on the
opposite side from the reed on the DRAW plate for holes 1-6, and on the opposite
side of the BLOW plate for holes 7-10. It is NOT required to valve every hole.
You need to figure out which notes you need, and then only valve the appropriate
holes. You can do them all if you want.

If you don't want to do this, you can special order Seydel harps with PT Gazell
valves already installed. There is a small charge but if you don't want to DIY, that's
the best way to go.

HTH,
Crazy Bob