RE: [Harp-L] Strep Throat and harps

Pharyngitis caused by group A beta-hemolytic streptococci, commonly called “strep throat” or streptococcal pharyngitis, has an incubation period of two to five days and is most common in children five to 12 years of age. The illness can occur in clusters and is diagnosed most often in the winter and spring.

Group A beta-hemolytic streptococci persist for up to 15 days on unrinsed tooth brushes and removable orthodontic appliances. The pathogens are not isolated from rinsed toothbrushes after three days. Instructing patients to rinse toothbrushes and removable orthodontic appliances thoroughly may help to prevent recurrent infections.

Bacteria such as this can be eliminated with a mild bleach and water mixture. If you were playing those harps while you were sick then you most certanly have streptococcal bacteria in those harps. Give them a good clean and disnfect and I would air out the case opened up outside in the Sun if you can.

Good luck

John