Re: [Harp-L] Are there pro harp players who do not know theory?

On May 19, 2011, at 12:15 PM, michael rubin wrote:

> And for those people into theory, what other theory concepts do you
> believe are so crucial that you cannot communicate with other
> musicians or make good note choices without them?

I'm always puzzled by this conversation. A few times a year it seems like people debate the benefits of  pursuing a deep understanding of music through formal learning. IMHO, unless you are among those select few musicians who were born with a profound intuitive understanding of music, a thorough study of how things work (theory) seems like a requirement to achieve excellence the craft of music.

Bob