Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 10:13:39 +0100
Subject: Re: Reed Measurements (Request For Information)
From: rickepping@xxxxxxxxx
To: robertpcoble@xxxxxxxxxxx
CC: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

Sorry, I don't have any more information on the process used to roll wire into reeds.  Many of the 19th Century harps' reeds had narrower rivet pads than do modern harps, and I don't know that it makes any significant difference to the harp's performance, so the diameter of wire you use would be determined more by the properties of the material, and the material will have to be something chosen from all the available, off-the-shelf metals you can find, be they sheet for punching or wire for rolling.  You should look more to the desired final thickness of the reed blank you roll, as the more you reduce the wire's thickness by rolling, the harder the material will become.

Just for interest, an 1885 book I have by Ernest Spon entitled, Workshop Receipts contains recipes for various brass and other alloys.  The 1883 edition appears to be much the same and is available here as a pdf download:

http://www.wkfinetools.com/mLibrary/Spon/1883-WorkshopReceipts/1883-WorkshopReceipts.asp

The brass alloys are on page 10 of the book (page 14 of the pdf).  Page 11 has two recipes for tombac, an old name Hohner used for its chromatic reeds.
Best regards,Rick