Re: [Harp-L] Are there pro harp players who do not know theory?

Venky Ramakrishna wrote:
<I am not sure we have to "box in" everybody into becoming a blues or
<jazz harmonica player by teaching them so much theory. Jazz harmonica
<as I understand is an individual interpretation/ expression of music.

All music is an individual interpretation and expression. Jazz music happens to be very harmonically complex music, and anyone who doesn't understand how to spell a chord, or what scales will work against a particular chord, is going to have a lot of trouble with jazz.

Is it possible to play jazz well without knowing some theory?  Well, anything is possible, and as Douglas Adams said in "The Hitchhiker's Guide the the Galaxy," just because a thing is extremely improbably doesn't mean it will never happen.  If you're an amazing genius, you might be able to figure out what's happening in the standard jazz repertoire without knowing any theory.

It's also possible to drive a car in the dark without your headlights on.  But you can go a lot faster, with less potential for life-threatening collisions, if you turn on the lights.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick