Re: [Harp-L] Are there pro harp players who do not know theory?

I see the teacher's role as salesman of the benefits of theory and "speaking
the language." It is satisfying to have a student who plays well, and who
goes out and says, "I studied with ___."

By writing down what the student's goals are, I avoid assuming that they
should see music they way I do. Some absolutely do not have a goal for the
stage. I choose to make their lesson time a worthwhile experience, as well.

Once we've agreed on the goals, I can say: "you said you wanted to be able
to ____, so you need to study ____ to get there." Upon recognizing WHY, most
will go for the HOW.

These are adults (most often), investing time and money into something they
enjoy. Each teacher decides what type of student they want to work with.
(Dylan: "*You*'*re gonna* have to *serve somebody") I find I enjoy all of
it.*
*
*
*Stay well