Re: [Harp-L] RE: Reed Measurements (Request For Information)

On May 19, 2011, at 9:30 AM, Robert Coble wrote:

> Do you have any additional references or information regarding the initial size of wire that was used or the
> design (patents?) of the rolling machines?

Well you have heard from Rick (one of the Ghurus of harmonica), so hearing from me is like hearing from Joey DiRita (the 5th and unknown Stooge).
But anyway, the reed pads are at least 1/8th inch (just over 3 mm) wide, so I have ascertained that 1mm wire would probably do. I can send you some 2mm wire to play with. I also have some brass shim stock. And other junk for experiments. Btw, you can also get shim stock, wire, and other neat stuff from jewelry supply outfits.  I happen to be an anti-hoarder. Instead of keeping things forever, I go through my stuff every month looking for things to pitch. I will also ask my daughter who is into jewelry. It may take some time to assemble it all. The last time I had a cigar box of stuff I sent it to G. I wish I had known about your work back then.

> I never considered rolling out a reed blank from brass wire simply because I had not known the history. I also

I am more into hammering. Hammering will also harden brass. Rolling has to be done cold. The colder the better. And with hammering all you need is.....a hammer.