Re: [Harp-L] Reed Measurements (Request For Information)

On May 17, 2011, at 6:00 PM, Robert Coble wrote:

> I have made reeds, thickness profiling machines, a punch-and-die set for reed slots, and special reed-measuring jigs and fixtures.  My motivation was the challenge to my machining ability and not necessarily to get reeds.  I would not deter you from your project, but I suggest that reed making is more difficult than you may imagine.

> I'm trying to get some punches/dies made for stamping out harmonica reeds.
> A friend has a tool-and-die shop and has at least seemed interested in the
> challenge of making a punch/die set for one of his small press punch machines.
> I have to rely on others' expertise-because I have none of my own!

.My initial attempt will be to stamp out reed blanks for Seydel Blues Session harps.

> Why? Because that's what I mostly play! I want to punch out the general shape
> of the reed (and the rivet hole) without any milling of the profile;

> Punches and dies for reeds are expensive.  Have you told the shop that you need .005mm tolerances on the punched reeds?  Do not expect to get installable reeds from the first set made.  You may have to iterate the design, making several sets before you are able to punch out exact replicas of Seydel reeds.  That will be expensive.  I suggest that making punches is not the first thing that you should do

> I intend to do profiling initially using polishing wheels. .

All reed making procedures that I know of...including my own...cut the thickness profile before the reed is cut/punched to length and width.  There is a reason for this.  Milling on a tiny flexible reed is much easier if you can hold it on more than one side.

It is difficult for me to imagine what kind of polishing wheel you will use and how you will use it.

> I know that's labor intensive, but that gives me complete control over pitch and response.

Only if you can measure thickness, pitch and response.  Have you thought of the jigs and fixtures that you will need to check the pitch, stiffness/response, and thickness profile of your reed after removing each bit of material?

I suggest that you get some junk reedplates and practice shortening and re-profiling the long reeds to work in a shorter slot further to the right on the harp.  I suggest that you hold off on making punches until you are practiced, confident and happy with the results of your polishing-wheel process.

I am an engineer and machinist.  I have spent hundreds of hours over a period of years making a few reeds.  I never considered my processes completely successful.

That said, I wish you luck.

Vern