Re: [Harp-L] The Manji and the Crossover

That's a thoughtful post, Tony,  glad you are having good luck with those
harps. My experience with more expensive blues harps has been different.
Bought a Crossover and it blew out in a couple of weeks, while my good old
Special 20's just last and last. Haven't been real happy with my other
Suzuki harps so far, so have resisted the Manji. The Seydel Blues Session
seems real nice, so I invested in a couple of those - very smooth feel - but
to me it lacks a little punch - and for 20 bucks more than a Special 20, it
doesn't even come with a hard case, just a plastic sleeve, which just seems
cheap to me. I have custom harps made from the other brands too - good
stuff, but in the end I could buy at least 3 Special 20's for the price of
one of those and be just as happy. To me, it all comes down to tone. Lots of
old school guys prefer a good old Marine Band and wouldn't switch for the
world. The Crossover is loud, and plays very accurately and that's nice, but
to my ears it sounds a little brash - when I am playing it, anyway.
Sometimes it actually depends on the key with me too (yeah, that's what we
call those letters stamped on the harp) - I really like my Blues Session in
A, but prefer the Special 20 for most other keys.

I can endorse giving up things like a Big River  - but since I have Special
20's that won't die no matter how hard they are played and love the sound
that I get from them, I had decided to try to discipline myself not to buy
any more expensive harps only to find them barely used in my desk drawer
months later. But I guess I will have to try the Manji now after reading
your message, doggone it.

Good on ya!