[Harp-L] Tribute to Robert Johnson

This past Saturday night, my band was asked to play in a tribute show honoring Rob't. Johnson's 100th birthday. We worked out an arrangement of two of his small but important catalog of songs and were well rehearsed. We were on stage for about 15 minutes and we did ourselves proud. There were 10 performers/bands on the bill including NW guitar legends Terry Robb, Mary Flowers, Baby Gramps and Joe McMurrian, who put the show on and leads the band called Woodbrain that my harp pro friend David Lipkind is in. All gave amazing interpretations of RJ tunes and everyone had a blast.

Headlining the show was the incomparable Curtis Salgado who played two sets and flat tore it up on acoustic and amplified harp. I was just off stage listening to his very powerful acoustic harp set performance and got to talk to Curtis after his set. I knew he was one of the best blues singers around, and a great player, but wow, I had no idea just how great a player he is. Some of the most creative runs I've ever heard and tone to die for. Curtis live is an amazing experience. And he's a very nice guy, approachable and respectful of all musicians. You can learn a lot about performing from watching him on stage.

Thanks for the lesson Curtis!

Ross Macdonald
www.sassparillapdx.com