  From: sheltraw@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  To: Arthur Jennings
  Cc: Harp-L
  Sent: Sunday, May 08, 2011 11:11 AM
  Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Just what exactly is 'key'?

  Here's another Wikipedia page:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_%28music%29

  Please notice that the definition stresses cadences as defining a key. As
  I pointed out earlier there are multiple cadences with a jazz tune and
  each cadence usually resolves to a different tonal center. So in jazz
  this definition would not assign a key or at least a single key to most
  jazz tunes. Yet jazz players often do speak of a single key associated
  with a tune.

  Cheers1