Re: [Harp-L] Just what exactly is 'key'?

On May 8, 2011, at 1:11 PM, sheltraw@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Here's another Wikipedia page:
>
>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_%28music%29

>  So in jazz this definition would not assign a key or at least a single key to most
> jazz tunes. Yet jazz players often do speak of a single key associated
> with a tune.
>
> Cheers1

I think I remember seeing somewhere, that if anyone thought something was amiss on Wikipedia, that they were permitted to write in and explain why they thought the script was not exactly correct. To this end, I have always viewed it with a jaundiced eye.  ;)

Hanging around with musicians brings an immediate feeling that they are speaking a somewhat different language than the general population. Now it has always been my feeling that when confronted with a different language, it was worth the effort to try and communicate with those whom spoke it. I always considered myself the 'guest' and as such, it was incumbent on ME to make this effort.

Like a recent cruise to the Caribbean. In Santo Domingo I had a cabbie who spoke almost no English. But using broken Spanish and a smattering of Italian, I was able to express myself just fine. As so was he. So, in going to a musical function and getting up there with musicians, the same thing applies. Things like: "Where is the bathroom". "Where can I get some food". "Where is the bus to Zamboanga?". Become things like: "What is the key". "Major or minor". "Beguine, Samba, Tango?".

In other words, if you can't speak nor understand any of the language, you have no business up there on the stand. Sorry if this sounds brutal. It's like boot camp. They try their best to prepare you for combat, but there's nothing like real combat. Where everything has to be adjusted. All the time.

Tonight is Mother's day. But Mama Cass (the live one), aka Cassie Mae (baby won't you please come home), has given me permission to go to the supper club. HER reasoning: "I'm not your mother". lol I offered to buy her dinner, but being a poor girl from the coal fields of West Virginia, she doesn't like fancy expemsive food. And sitting there is not her bag of potatoes and she gets aggravated when the people make a lot of noise and talk boistrously  when SHE feels they should show some respect and listen to the musicians...who put in so many years practicing their craft for the selfless enjoyment of others.

The first number I will call will probably be 'Petite Fleur' in Bb. I will point 2 fingers DOWN towards the floor. That will indicate the key. Now the drummer and piano player already should know this tune, so tempo is not an issue. If anyone wants to play on the tune, they should have at least a quasi-knowledge of the tune. Another tune might be "Song for my Father' in Fminor. I will point 4 fingers at the floor. Now this would usually indicate 4 flats or Ab. But not in this case. As Fm is relative to Ab. The band should already know this. And if they don't..they should ask. I surely won't think less of them. In fact, it could avoid a train wreck. :)

So why, you may ask, don't i just point ONE finger at the floor to indicate F? Be-caaaaaaaause it ain't done that way. Thems the rules. Petite Fleur will be on a flute, so if I had a chart in front of me (which I won't), IT would be written Bb as my flute is a C. If I were using my clarinet (or trumpet), the chart would be written in C as they are already TUNED to Bb. This is why key is important. Key is everything. That's why it's called the key. It's an opener. In Polish it's Krutche, In Italian Ciave.

smokey joe & the cafe s