Subject: [Harp-L] finding the right key

Exactly right Tom and nothing remotely to apologize for...in fact I've seen
 Jason do this when playing with other bands or musicians onstage. Always
trust 'the ear'.

The problem as I see it is that some are asking the question purely as an
intellectual exercise because they've never personally played diatonic
blues or been onstage in that particular situation, so cannot know what it
actually entails.

I'm also one who doesn't play blues on diatonic and have never been there
onstage or taken part in a blues jam but have certainly  witnessed/been
present for sufficient playing of it to see and  appreciate what the good play
ers do. They can usually tell within a note or two  whether they're in the
right key..then quickly switch out to another harp if  not. I've seen players
go through several in an especially loud  onstage environment - but we're
talking seconds for each which comes with solid  practice (woodshedding). There
IS no fasttrack to great harmonica playing. One  has to put in the solid
years of practice. That and being a talented musician  will make you an
'overnight success'.<G>

Elizabeth

PS: I like SmoJoe's likening it to unlocking the 'key'.

"Message: 12