[Harp-L] finding the right key

Sorry to add to this long thread.

When I don't know or have forgotten what the key of a tune is, and I'm on stage with a loud band, I'll discreetly work my way through a few harps out of my case, playing 2nd position riffs until I find the one that works. I do all this off mic - I find that holding the harp in my left hand, playing the harp at the right side of my mouth and holding my right hand slightly cupped in front of the harp, with the heel of my right hand against the left hand end of the harp, the right hand in line with the length of the harp and my fingers curved towards my right ear (you can almost touch the far edge of you ear with the fingers of the right hand) gives me enough foldback monitoring to hear the harp above the band. As your playing hours increase, you will start to find that you will choose the right harp out of the box after one or two tries, at least for the more common use blues/rock keys, probably first time if the band is playing in A.

I've given up asking the guitarist or keyboard player for the key of the song as their perspective on what the home key is will often be very different from how I see it.

Of course this all works great until the band shifts the key coming into your solo - that's when you get the chance to put your well rehearsed 9th position playing into action. In the words of the Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy - 'Don't panic' ;)

Regards
Tom