Re: [Harp-L] Re: Can you improve the U block tongue curl?

Robert Coble writes:
...A short synopsis: U-blocking does not involve the END of the tongue to
get good sound (including deep bends). Each person has a "groove" running
down the center of the tongue. That "groove" is pushed forward against the
harp to block out the holes on either side of the desired hole. The TIP
of the tongue is NOT used. You can "prove" you can "groove" by simply laying
an index finger along the center of your tongue, well past the teeth (if you
have them, or the gums if you don't have them). Press down lightly, much
lighter than your doctor when he gags you with a tongue depressor. When you
pop your finger toward the roof of your mouth, you'll find a little suction
on your finger. THAT is where the "groove" in your tongue is, and THAT is what
you use to U-block. The TIP of the tongue actually slides up underneath the
harp, out of the way. (No, my other brother Darrell, you don't extend the tongue
outside of your mouth and into the back of the harp.)...<clippage>

That's a pretty broad stroke, Bob. For example, my old harp buddy Harry Harpoon, who is a full-time U-blocker, can play his harps perfectly well with his tongue sticking clear out of his mouth, his harp not even touching his lips. An amazing parlor trick!

Try it, you might like it. Even if you don't, you will have learned something
to add to your bag of tricks when teaching/playing.

You are spot-on with that one. When I first met him, Harry insisted that he couldn't teach me anything if I couldn't curl my tongue. He made me roll my tongue for him and if I hadn't been able to so he would have dismissed me as a student without ever hearing me play a note. Being forced to give U-blocking a try (this was before I started tongue blocking) taught me one of the most important lessons I have learned so far: to use the back of my throat instead of my tongue for bending. This happened because the tip of my tongue was, for the first time, anchored to the front of my mouth, so I ~couldn't~ use it to bend. My bending skill improved markedly and permanently. My tone was definitely kicked up a notch too with this new-found knowledge about the magic of using my throat when playing harmonicas.

I want to learn everything I can about playing harmonicas and each embouchure forces you to learn new techniques. Each has its advantages. For example, even though I am not a full-time U-blocker like Harry, I definitely get better control over my 8-10 blow bends with the U-block.

Thanks, Harry for making me learn it. And thanks, Bob, for your informative post about it.

Michelle