[Harp-L] Re: Can you improve the U block tongue curl?

The short answer is: Yes, the "curl" can be "improved."

The longer answer is that as a U-blocker, I must use a similar
"bastardized" version. The difficulty is caused by the fact that the
misconception is that U-blocking REQUIRES a curl at the TIP of the
tongue. This is similar to the misconception that "pucker" can be
"improved" by pushing out the lips until you have a fish shape and
then trying to kiss that totally disgusting relative who always wants
to kiss everyone they meet every time. If that does NOT hold true for
puckering, then the "genetic" requirement to curl the end of the tongue
is also NOT true.

I wrote an article on this subject a long time ago. Rather than reproduce
it here, I'll just provide the URL to it:

http://www.praiseharp.us/articles/ublock.html

A short synopsis: U-blocking does not involve the END of the tongue to
get good sound (including deep bends). Each person has a "groove" running
down the center of the tongue. That "groove" is pushed forward against the
harp to block out the holes on either side of the desired hole. The TIP
of the tongue is NOT used. You can "prove" you can "groove" by simply laying
an index finger along the center of your tongue, well past the teeth (if you
have them, or the gums if you don't have them). Press down lightly, much
lighter than your doctor when he gags you with a tongue depressor. When you
pop your finger toward the roof of your mouth, you'll find a little suction
on your finger. THAT is where the "groove" in your tongue is, and THAT is what
you use to U-block. The TIP of the tongue actually slides up underneath the
harp, out of the way. (No, my other brother Darrell, you don't extend the tongue
outside of your mouth and into the back of the harp.)

Try it, you might like it. Even if you don't, you will have learned something
to add to your bag of tricks when teaching/playing.

Regards,
Crazy (enough to investigate U-blocking thoroughly) Bob

I have always believed the U block tongue curl to be genetic.  One of
my students cannot do the curl, although is able to do a bastardized
version of the technique.  She wants to know if the curl can be
improved.  Has anybody improved their curl?
Thanks,
Michael Rubin
Michaelrubinharmonica.com