Re: [Harp-L] How to tell the key of any song or music

Figuring out keys can get tricky because the first chord of the melody isn't always the same as the key.  (Although as Garry pointed out, the last chord is more likely to be.)  I recently had the unfortunate experience of being invited on stage to play Sweet Georgia Brown and Caravan.  They asked me what key I'd like to play Sweet Georgia Brown.  When I said G, the band leader immediately kicked it off in Bb.  It took few measures before I figured out why I was having trouble.  The band leader mistakenly thought that the first chord fitting the melody indicated the key, whereas the melody begins on the VI chord.  When he announced Caravan in the key of B, I was very suspicious.  I correctly assumed he meant E because the tune begins on the V chord.  So even when a key is announced, be on your guard.

- David Naiditch
www.davidnaiditch.com