RE: [Harp-L] Can you improve the U block tongue curl?

I'm a tongue-curler and, like you, I discovered that some students are unable to curl their tongue in the classic "taco" shape.  Apparently, there is divided opinion as to whether this trait/skill is a heritable trait.   See http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/omim/189300 , where you'll find informative tidbits on tongue-curling such as, " ...In Barcelona, Hernandez (1980)
 found the ability to roll the tongue in 63.7% of males and 66.84% of
females. In males, an association with ability to move the ears (129100) was found."

I use tongue curling to get that tongue-blocking slur, when you briefly chord before sliding into a single note.  And I also do fast runs tongue-curled.  Achieving a single note by pursing lips works for other effects and I usually encourage students to develop both techniques in achieving single notes.  But you'll often find people who can't tongue curl and, frankly, I don't know what to tell them.  I generally suggest they use the time-honored, classic tongue blocking technique and I try to help them not be discouraged.  I don't know of any tongue exercises to cultivate curling talents among the uninitiated.