Re: [Harp-L] My explanation of 5th and 12th position for Steve Hellerman

A quick way to figure out the key of third position is to go one tone up from the key of the harp, so for a C harp it would be D in third. an E flat harp would give an F in third, a D harp gives E in third and so on. This works when your harp is labeled with its first position.

then position 12 should be very easy to remember
for any blues player - in second position you use the harmonica that
corresponds to the IV chord in the I IV V progression and in 12th position
you would use the harp that corresponds to the V chord .
I think you may have this back to front, for a C harp the C scale goes I=C, II=D,III=E, IV=F, V=G, VI=A & VII=B

Now if you are using your first position scale, as above, your formula doesn't work.To avoid confusion it is best to think about numbering your intervals from the first position scale. It's the major scale starting starting on blow 4 for those who haven't found it.

A really helpful thing to do is to commit a circle of fifths to memory. then put your first position at One o'clock, 2nd position at 2 o'clock, 3rd position is at 3 o'clock and so on round to twelfth position at 12 o'clock. Given that you can recall what a round watch face is like, many kids these days don't get to see such a thing often, the world having become digital an all ;- )
Yours-D