From: Tony Eyers <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sun, March 27, 2011 1:57:22 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] Do teachers & players tend to undervalue first position?

For 25 years I focused on 2nd and 3rd position for blues and general
accompanyment, my own Major Cross tuning for fiddle tunes. I never gave first
position much thought.

Then I wrote the Harmonica Academy teaching site. I had to learn first position.
Now I love it. It is a powerful blues position (listen to the opening track on
Dennis Gruneling's CD "Up All Night). Really great for fiddle tunes as well. The
trick however is mastery of the 3 draw bend (an A note for a C harmonica). This
note takes some years to control well enough for tunes, once done, first
position opens many possibilities.

Tony Eyers
Australia
www.HarmonicaAcademy.com