[Harp-L] Do teachers & players tend to undervalue first position?

We have seen posts that point out the useful practice of using tunes which are well known, to the point of being common cultural property, in order to help a student hone the tuning of their bent notes.

One of the problems that I come up against is that as soon as one plays in the key of F, for example, there very few well known tunes that will use the B flat without also using the A. This is also true of most other modal keys which one may try, i.e. D, A , G or E. By which I mean though the notes may change the same sort of situation occurs with the relative intervals.

It is largely down to the fact that melodies tend to walk up and down the scale formats of the keys concerned.

The positions as used for blues playing always tend to always use the flatted seventh. Looking at the modes of the C scale you come to a way of approaching the positions that root from D, E, F, G and A and their some of their scales that will make the process more 'doable'. The better you know what goes on in the key of C throughout the compass of your harp, the easier you will find modal transposition. As one can view these positions as alterations on the modes of C major, I ask are we often too quick to dismiss first position because it isn't a blues sounding sonority?

What do you think?
David

I am talking of a Richter tuned C harp throughout these posts.

--
D Priestley AKA Dr Midnight.
England's first  harmonica Guru.

E-mail-dmharpman@xxxxxxxxx http://www.cognitionarts.com/ Phone: 0207 373 0295