[Harp-L] opening up 5th position for minor blues

Hi All.
Given that we are naming our positions as a projection of fifths, IE C, G,D, A, E, B, F?/G?,C?/D?, G?/A?,D?/E?, A?/B?, F. You shouldn't miss out 5th position, which works out as playing in an E blues on a C Harp. The entire blues scale is there just using the given notes and draw bends. The blues scale has the intervals 1, Flat 3, Four, Flat five, Five and flat 7. The second and sixth degrees of the scale will usually work as well.

I enclose the interval grid below so that you can work out your blues scales and minor pentatonic or what ever on what ever key or tuning you have. To work out what notes can be bent remember this rule = When two reeds share the same chamber , the reed which is uppermost in pitch can be reduced in pitch to a sharp expression of the lower pitched reed.

A more organic way to open up fifth position is to play an A harp in second position and then make the same notes on your C harp which will put on 5th position on the C.
The minor keyed harps are well worth exploring as well. David (AKA Dr Midnight)

1

?2

2

?3