[Harp-L] The DUKE’s “Harp Off”

Here's the idea I pitched to a couple of bands that host jams in Phoenix AZ
area. Anyone tried something like it? Successes? Mistakes?

Experienced players: would you like to see it, or lead it?

Newer players: would you take a turn in this format?

I welcome evaluations. (I'm wide-open here, don't kick my teeth in.)

. . . . .

The DUKE’s “Harp Off”

3 harp players on stage at once, BUT they take turns following me in a
round-robin, 2 measures each. I will direct it, on the fly, with hand
signals. (with Drums, Bass, & Guitar, too)

It's the call-response format I use for lessons. Easy to follow for
beginners, gradually getting more challenging.

Audience will show excitement over who "falls off" during their turn. (Maybe
a small prize for the player who hangs on the longest?? Or I will comp a
free 1-hour lesson for the winner, or a Lee Oskar product: T shirt, Ball
cap, etc)

Promo, talk it up, in first hour, do it in second hour.  If there are enough
harp players, we can do a "harp off" elimination in third hour.

Far more interesting for all, than a repetitious 12-bar that goes on
forever.
Gets more harp players involved than waiting one at a time on the sign up
list.
Invites all players to listen more closely, and take turns on a simple
theme. (I'm an off-duty school teacher)

If it goes over well, we will give it a snappy name, and pre-advertise with
your jams.

The DUKE's "Harp Off" hmmm?

. . . . .

Robert Hale