Re: [Harp-L] Which hand holds the Chrom?

On Mar 14, 2011, at 10:45 PM, dmf273@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Watching Wim's latest video on horizontal movement, I'm surprised to see that he teaches that right handed people should hold the chromatic in their left hand and control movement with the left elbow moving up and down while the wrist stays locked. I wouldn't presume to disagree with him. I'm just surprised to learn that is the recommended way. Is that what most accomplished players do? Being right handed, I feel like a klutz trying to control the harp with my left hand.

Most craftsmen that are right handed use their left hand as a (quasi) vice. Like controlling a board while the right hand saws it.
Scenario 2: crabs have a large claw and a small one. The left puts a crushing controlling grip on the prey while the right picks it to pieces.
Scenario 3: A sign board carver controls the angle of the chisels with the left hand while the right delivers precision taps with a mallet.
Scenario 4: If you have ever worked with your hands and are right handed, your left will register higher on a gripmeter.
conclusion....this is normal.

smo-joe