[Harp-L] Re: Suggestions for adding weight to a reed?

Hi Mike,

Even though you mentioned that you have never used a soldering gun before
that's the method I'd recommend - but rather than a gun use a soldering iron
with a fine tip. I play all Filiskos and Sleigh harps so I've gotten quite
good at repairing and swapping reeds with my Farrell anvil.  Yesterday I was
running to a session and found the my Low F had a bad 5 blow.  I normally go
through my harp graveyard and pull a reed from there but I don't have any
old Low F harps.  So I went to my trusty Richard Sleigh Reed Chart and
picked a reed of the same size (in this case 5 blow on a G harp) and
installed that in the Low F and then soldered a weight at the reed tip and
filed it to pitch. Richard showed me how to do this and its much easier than
you'd think. The nice thing about this method is that its neat, theres
nothing sticky and you can file the tip for fine tuning as you normally
would. Its a nice technique to have.

--
Trip Henderson ~ NYC
www.myspace.com/triphenderso <http://www.myspace.com/triphenderson>n