[Harp-L] Re: Online Harmonica Retailers (LOTS of choices!)

<quote>
Who's the best online source for harps these days? Specifically cheapest Special 20s.
I came across one a while ago and didn't save the link.
Thanks
Ryan
</quote>

My personal favorite is Coast-to-Coast Music. Their prices are
always competitive, especially if you are a member of their
Buyer's Club. I also know how hard they try to satisfy a customer.
several times, I've called (rather than order through the web
site), and have gotten absolutely fantastic service every time.
I'm not a "known player" so I know that this is standard treatment.
One example: I ordered a Hohner Extended Bass Harmonica through
them, fully expecting that it might be a couple of months before
one could be brought in from Germany. When i talked with John, he
told me that he didn't think his supplier had any stocked. Imagine
my surprise when it arrived within less than a week! When I asked
John about it, he said he had searched until he found one and had
it shipped directly to me. Now THAT's service! I'm always loyal
to people like that, because in the long run, it's worth a few
pennies more to have a relationship to someone who really cares
about their customer base. I know I can find a few things cheaper
on other sites, but that's not the most important thing to ME.
I want someone who cares enough to get me what I ask for as fast
as possible, and Coast-to-Coast Music has ALWAYS done that.

I've also had good service from New Harmonica (Danny G) and also
trust him.

Bottom line: Sooner (or later), you'll just have to pick somebody
to send some money to. Personally, I like supporting harmonica
players who support the harmonica community.

If you're hell-bent on the absolute lowest price and nothing else,
then a Google search for "Hohner Special 20" should turn up a
plethora (I've always wanted to use that word!) of vendors willing
to take your money. I got over 82,000 hits.

Note: Hohner imposed a "Minimum Advertised Price" (MAP) on its
retailers. They are not supposed to advertise the merchandise
at a lower price, but that doesn't stop the vendors from actually
setting their individual prices lower (or higher) than MAP.

Hohner Special 20 MAP = $32.99

Here are some representative vendor prices:
Coast-to-Coast Music - Actual price = $31.81
NewHarmonica - Actual price = $32.99
Rockin Ron's Music for less - Actual price = $32.25
Amazon - Actual price = $26.77 to $32.99, depending on 2nd source
Musician's Friend - Actual price = $32.99

I found prices from $26.77 to $44.00. Do I trust all of them? NO!

If you are willing to buy several different keys at once, you can
get a pretty good discount over the individual price. I would call
the vendors and ask if they will give you a discount on a standard
12 or standard 7 set, if that's what you need and can afford. Some
vendors provide a pretty good discount on a complete set. If you
don't ask, some of them won't tell you they will do it.

Shipping charges (or no shipping charges) may change the total price.
You'll have to shop around for that information.

Good luck!
Crazy Bob